Music Banter - View Single Post - Talk About the Passion - R.E.M.'s Discography Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Rickenbacker
/

Eponymous
Released 1988
I.R.S. Records

In 1988, the chips were beginning to fall into place for R.E.M. Riding on the success of Document and the top-ten single The One I Love, the band was on a fast track towards mainstream popularity. Seeking to capitalize on this ever growing popularity, I.R.S. Records and R.E.M. released Eponymous, the band's very first "Greatest Hits" collection. Eponymous is a compilation of many of the more accessible songs of the I.R.S. Years, omitting dirge-like classics such as Feeling Gravity's Pull and Pilgrimage in exchange for poppier tunes like Gardening at Night and So. Central Rain. As a result, it is perhaps not the greatest representation of R.E.M.'s early sound. While undeniably good, the songs fail to encapsulate the feelings provoked by the full albums themselves. Still, Eponymous serves its purpose as an accessible and worthy entry point to the great band that is R.E.M.

1. Radio Free Europe (Original Hib-Tone Single)
Eponymous kicks off with R.E.M.'s first ever single, the original version of Radio Free Europe from 1981. Miles better than the Murmur version, this Hib-Tone cut is filled with pure, raw energy; something that R.E.M. would have trouble perfecting again until 1996. This version of Radio Free Europe also wins for having the least understandable vocal take of all time. It almost becomes funny.

2. Gardening at Night (Different Vocal Mix)
One of the great songs on R.E.M.'s debut EP Chronic Town, the original version of Gardening at Night is lyrically masterful; fast paced, yet restrained. This alternate version, complete with a different vocal take sounds anxious, rushed, and at times frantic. With a more emotional vocal, the song takes on a different meaning: less a story, and more an artistic statement.

3. Talk About the Passion
Such mature beauty lies within Talk About the Passion, perhaps the defining track from 1983's Murmur. I question the melancholy nature of Stipe's vocal. Is this folk music for the Reagan years? Some anthem of teenage apathy to end it all? "Empty prayer, empty mouths", he sings, "Not everyone can carry the weight of the world." But does he care who does, or if at all? Perhaps that is the central idea of this glorious song.

I also happen to think that it is the greatest pop single of all time, but that's just me...

4. So. Central Rain
The centerpiece of Reckoning, So. Central Rain is entirely responsible for R.E.M. attaining mainstream success. While songs like Gardening at Night are catchy and easy to sing along with, the anthemic and all-encompassing chorus of So. Central Rain is so relatable to their fan base that I insinuate it is one of the best of all time.

"I'm Sorry"

These words, overspoken and overwrought with broken hopes and rejected desires, are transformed into something greater. Michael Stipe sings with an unforeseen vigor, backed by a rhythm that makes So. Central Rain a landmark song in the progression of music.

5. (Don't Go Back To) Rockville
One of the key tracks on Reckoning, Rockville was one of R.E.M.'s best early pop songs. Written by Mike Mills about a girlfriend in Rockville, Maryland, the song is an honest and well executed plea to bygone lovers. The song is rooted in country influence, with a catchy piano line and a vocal sung in trademark southern accent. Peter Buck's guitar is unmistakable as well, and gives it the R.E.M. sounds it needs.

6. Can't Get There From Here
There are many reasons why I love Fables of the Reconstruction. As an album, it is entirely cohesive, generating a feeling of catharsis by its completion. Better still is that while undoubtedly better suited for listening as a full album, it has many tracks that work very well by themselves. Can't Get There From Here, unfortunately, is not one of them. While undeniably catchy and easy to like, a deeper insight reveals flaws, most notably... why are R.E.M. trying to do a funk tune? Nevertheless, the lyrics redeem it. I've always loved the "Philomath is where I go by dawn" line.

7. Driver 8
This, on the other hand, is one of those standalone Fables tracks that really works. Peter Buck delivers a riff better than anything he ever did before or since on this song, and with an austere vocal completed with mysteriously dark lyrics, Driver 8 ranks among R.E.M.'s very best songs.

8. Romance
These days, Romance gets a lot of love only as a treasured forgotten and unknown R.E.M. song. Like the few and far between great songs on Dead Letter Office, Romance is still just not that good. Ages of You is better anyway, but for completists, Romance is still essential.

9. Fall On Me
Of all songs in their canon, Fall On Me holds a special place in my heart as the R.E.M. song that has spent the most time as my favorite. This song, a classic from Lifes Rich Pageant really is one of the defining moments of their early career. Melodic, sweet, yet mature and multi-dimensional, Fall On Me is perfect, and a much needed down-tempo piece on this upbeat compilation.

10. The One I Love
Overplayed into oblivion on alternative stations, a fresh listen to the Document centerpiece reveals a track legitimately worthy of such high praise. It demands to be played loud, as Michael screams "Fire!" over Peter Buck's dominating riff. Hipsters love it too, because it's all about irony!

11. Finest Worksong (Mutual Drum Horn Mix)
One of my issues with Document was producer Scott Litt's choice to turn up Michael's vocals. On the original version of Finest Worksong, this wasn't an issue, as the drums helped to balance out the louder vocal. However, this mix has the drums turned down, making Michael's vocals sound forced and annoying at times. The horns sound incredibly dated as well, and when coupled with Mills' awkward harmonies, the end result is a failure.

12. It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
I've gone through bouts of loving this song and disliking it vehemently. Perhaps that's all that needs to be said. Some days, this song just pisses me off. Other times I just have to sing along.

Overall, this is a fair collection of the more accessible side of R.E.M.'s work from 1981-1987. The songs here are good if not great, and it serves its purpose as a compilation.

Key Tracks (Click to Download): "Radio Free Europe (Original Hib-Tone Single)", "So. Central Rain", "Driver 8"

8.5/10

Last edited by Rickenbacker; 02-26-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote