Music Banter - View Single Post - VeggieLovers Journey into Lyrics and Poetry
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #51 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
It's important for me to remember to live NOW. "hows the way to cry" another personal reference, I literally had to teach myself to let myself be weak enough to cry, tho this could also refer to the general theme of desensitisation.

In this song, "beauty burns" literally means that beauty is capable of burning, that it can and will disappear if we continue to take it for granted. Beauty could catch on fire, and we'd probably just watch it burn instead of trying to save it.

If i replaced the second verse with:
"A new and fragile blossom
Greats the new day's sun
With tired eyes, taught to despise
The race we've got to run"
would that make the message more clear or more muddled?

Also, is the "yesterday" reference confusing to the intended theme of the song?
Thanks for the explanation, Veggie. I prefer the original second verse to the new one. The original ties in the description of autumn and feels more concrete than the option you write above. Plus, "the race we've got to run" sounds cliche to me. Your original verse sounds more childlike, more innocent. I remember catching leaves when they fall! I think I was 21 when I first looked at the trees and felt no real stirring of joy and amazement. Of course, I wrote a poem (a sonnet) about it.

I do feel your song works just as well and perhaps better without the "yesterday" reference, since that reference to the Beatles is such a strong one that it pulls my attention away from the topic of our inability to be sensitive to beauty and emotion.

How did you teach yourself to cry? No pins involved, I hope! Was it just a process of letting yourself relax and let down your guard?

I've always been able to cry fairly easily...when sad, dismayed, very relieved, and when angry. Being able to cry is a good release, I feel, because it is such a strong experience of emotion that might normally just simmer under the surface, not fully realized or appreciated.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote