Music Banter - View Single Post - VeggieLovers Journey into Lyrics and Poetry
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #55 (permalink)
VeggieLover
Music?! Lets boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Cute song, Veggie! I do feel joking about death is actually a good way to make peace with it. So, it is nice to hear a non-serious (but underneath serious) song about death. Your song is also a nice, short length.

I'm always sad thinking about your dad. I like knowing enough about you to see some of the personal elements in, and inspiration for, your song.

The fountain refers to the fountain of youth, right? The Sorcerer's Stone...argh...all I can think of is Harry Potter! What's the story about the original sorcerer's stone?

Why can't the appeal of death be real? What do you feel is the sick sort of appeal of death? I felt a little as if these lines were used mostly because they rhyme, because when I try to think whether what they mean makes sense to me, I'm not sure. Is the appeal of death that it would end all life's troubles?

Your song reminds me of a German song I liked when I lived there. The German song was about troubles. The singer sings to his troubles (in German, so it all rhymes): "Good morning, my dear troubles. Are you also still here? Did you also sleep well?" You both use the same humorous technique of dealing with a serious, non-physical subject as if it were a person.
Do not dismay Vegangelica! This time your connection with popular lit. is correct, I was indeed refering to the sorcerer's stone from the first book, which is supposed to give the holder eternal life (and yes the fountain is the fountain of youth).

"You've got a certain sick kind of appeal, That i know can't, can't be real"
The line is supposed to express the appeal of death (perhaps even suicide) as an escape from the troubles of life. While this is indeed true, no one really knows what happens after we die (even though many of us pretend that we do). For all we know, we could have even bigger troubles after death. Also, the potential relief in dying, for a young healthy person, is outweighed by the incredible selfishness of that act (if done on purpose) and the grief ect. left behind. In short, death, while certainly appealing, isn't worth it (like drugs etc)

If you remember the name of the song I'd like to seek it out... it sounds interesting and I always (well, a lot of the time) enjoy listening to music from other cultures even if i have to rely on a rough online translation to understand the basic meaning of it.
"Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you."
VeggieLover is offline   Reply With Quote