Music Banter - View Single Post - International music (in general)
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #34 (permalink)
Petula07
♫ Music 'n' Sun ♫

I am little bit lost in my loved thread. So it's time to join discussion again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post

In this area of music which we seem to be calling 'International', how important is it for the band or singer to actually be from that country. By this I mean, surrounded by and soaking up the culture of that particular country.
I don't know so much about regaee and Jamaica so my point of view is more universal... I am not sure if my poor english is good enough to write about it but I will try.
I think international music can be played wherever but you are still influenced by the place/country. Of course you can write good song about slaves although you live in another continent but it will have different mood than similar song played or written by slave.
We can try to copy styles of musicians and we can be really really good in it but in my opinion it is still little bit different.

In my opinion some countries have so typical and special musical technique that for other people it's very difficult to do it. For example throat singing of Mongolia... Maybe we can learn it but will it be the same?

Would you be able to learn it? I guess only with some mongolian musician. Maybe I am wrong but it's only my feeling.

Probably somebody is able to absorb international music more than somebody else. It is similar with english singing... I think some singers try to be very good and they are - some people don't know if they are native English or American or not. Some other singers have so horrible english accent during singing but they aren't able to be better.

For me some magic of international music is in feelings, emotions and strange sounds. I think everybody is able to feel emotions although we don't understand lyrics.

For example this mongolian song... You don't understand but I guess you would agree with me that it's full of emotions.

Music can touch people all around the world because everybody loves, dies, eats... Sufferings and passions are the same or at least very similar.
For example I was surprised how many listeners from abroad czech singer Radůza has. Why they like her? They say her voice is very powerful and they don't need to understand because they just enjoy her voice...

I can show you how the same song is different by different musicians around the world. The same song, different voices but like one song it's very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
That's very kind of you, but I'm afraid I'm not an "expert" at all.
Thank you This portuguese music is interesting. We don't have some czech radio with songs from abroad so mostly I find something on Youtube, Last.fm or from some people on internet.
I was afraid I am only one crazy person who needs more languages but I am happy to see some people are on the same way.
I think english is international language and it's really good but on the other hand some musicians have more magic in their own language. Aviv Geffen from Israel is one my example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
An audible slice of Norway as it were.

I have a flute I'm gonna try and dedicate more time to instead. If I ever change my mind, I'll nag you for tips, though.
Tore, are you from Norway? And which flute do you play?