Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #250 (permalink)
oldcrowprophet
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
My tardiness in updates has many contributing factors.

1.) I've been busy with school and work the past few months.

2.) I started my own website which I've been trying to update at least three times a week.

3.) I was contacted from an actual Gothic Country musician who while praising my blog, wasn't that happy with my free downloads. This kind of shook some preconceived notion I had in my mind that I use to tell myself to assuage the guilt on not legally obtaining the music. I sort of looked at this and though, oh well if he's paying attention then who's to say someone else isn't?

4.) Not all the albums I have a really good... I mean it's kind of a tough call because as with any genre 80% of it is crap and the task becomes wading through it to find the 20% that's worth a damn. I think in my quest to become sort of a guru in the genre (and keep this thread floating) I just collected everything I could find, ignoring the fact that some of it was just not that great.

5.) I didn't really feel like anybody was actually reading my write ups so I chose to just add essential album info but then it felt like I wasn't doing the artist or myself any good because I wasn't critiquing the music for them and I wasn't improving my writing abilities.

I think I'm going to do a hard boot on my blog, completely start over (again) and this time not offer any free downloads on my blog without request. I'm probably going to start contacting the record companies (or bands) and ask their permission to post links to various sites to legally procure their music. Essentially I want to become a professional, and while I still highly believe in free music, I also know that the day when everything is free and record executives are toiling in the acid mines are eras away.
I don't blame you.

I recently purchased Rodatentia "Dark Roots Music: Vol. II-IV" and was very disappointed with the quality of songwriting as well as musicianship within the bands.

I think the problem with most of the artists in this genre is:

a) they try too hard to be in this genre
b) they think as long as there is americana instruments, it will be accepted
c) they think "weird" vocals are a shoe-in and make up for lack of creativity
d) they try to be too much like 16HP, SCAC or Waits

I for one am a believer in free music also. I believe that more artists should embrace this as well. My old band gained more fans through giving away music than playing out and they all would've bought an album (with cover and art and such) if we stayed together and produced one.

I hope this genre doesn't die out, although, with the rise of the more cabaret/baraque styles emerging and rock basically dying, I feel gothic americana will remain the strange kid down the block with no friends but the flys swirling around the junk heap.

Not to mention, some of my favorites (Wovenhand & Jesse Sykes mostly) are moving into a more psychedelic sound than americana. It is what it is. As long as they produce good tunes and don't get all happy on my ass, that's fine.

The world needs sadness and dark themes. We laugh at too many things, thus, ignoring the long-term affects of such an attitude.

So, bring the sadness back in...
oldcrowprophet is offline   Reply With Quote