Music Banter - View Single Post - Cultural Imperialism and the Homogenization of the Western World
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

I forgot to mention it before, but freedom of expression is also important. Notice that about a 35% of world population lives under any kind of dictatorial regime. And that's one of the reasons for the lack of alternatives. If a country or a cultural community wants to offer succesful alternatives in nowadays' global media culture, needs to develop both its economy and democracy. A strong and dynamic middle class (which is the base for a solid cultural industry) that enjoys freedom of expression is the best guarantee to success.

Cuba is a small country, but has a huge cultural potential (specially musical and literary), unfortunately castrated (never better said) by a dictatorship. Cuban musicians and writers, with their particular Caribbean styles and views, have very interesting things to show us, not only for the rest of Spanish-speaking countries, but for the whole world. Pop and rock music too. Imagine what could make these young Cubans in a free country, and, in addition, with more means.

The same can be said, for example, of Iranian film directors. Some of them have had international success recently. Imagine what good films could they make in a free country. In addition, with the support of a strong film industry, the results could be magnificent. But the theocratic regime they suffer, blocks both freedom and the rise of a new middle class. Quoting TheBig3KilledMyRainDog's signature, which in turn quotes Ayatollah Khomeini:
Quote:
"Music is a like a drug. Whoever acquires the habit can no longer devote himself to important activities... We must eliminate it."
After reading that words, a young punk-rock Spanish band happily influenced by Sex Pistols, and also happily using the freedom of expression achieved only four years before, dedicated a song to Khomeini in 1982: Ayatollah, don't touch my balls. I hope someday an Iranian band could do the same.