Music Banter - View Single Post - Talk About the Passion - R.E.M.'s Discography Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #68 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Fables of Reconstruction is still lingering in my mind..................so I think that says something about its quality.

Lifes Rich Pageant-A return to the more upbeat formula of Reckoning and again as you`d expect by these four album veterans, another very accomplished bit of work. I know from looking at reviews of this album and from hardcore R.E.M fans, the vast majority of them, seem to view this album as the bands best ever work!!! Despite seeing its quality, its probably my least favourite of the first four releases. When I listened to this my version had some extra tracks on it and one was an excellent cover of the Aerosmith song "Toys in the Attic"

Document-A lot seems to be made of this album, the last with the original label and their first foray into the commercial market proper and the sound on this album typifies that. Agree with Rickenbacker that Mike Stipes vocals having been pushed to the forefront and the instruments of the band pushed into the background, and for this reason the group lose a lot of their unique magic. Instead the band lose that signature poppy/jangly sound giving over to a more rock orientated sound, to compensate for these negatives though, the songs are superb and for this reason I would still give this album as somebody else suggested an 8.

Its about this time that that R.E.M broke big time into the UK market, I remember it.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote