Music Banter - View Single Post - Is a Computer an Instrument?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Hi there,

I know this stuff about Duchamp and dada is getting off subject but I just feel the need to clarify.................. Aah, that's better.

I think Duchamp was just attempting to draw attention to the fact that 'art' is everywhere. We don't have to go into a gallery to see it and works of 'art' are quite often made by ordinary folks, tradesman who are not considered artists. That's where the term 'readymade' came from.
He was using the art galleries just to emphasise that point I think. There again, all art whether it be sculpture, painting, poetry or music is all a very personal subject. At the end of the day, a computer is what it is and it does what it does, - whatever label any one of us may decide to stick on it. Same with an oil drum...

Have a great weekend.. Gordon.
A computer is what it is? Not quite.

Unplug a computer. Take it into the deep depths of the ocean and leave it there. Take a picture.

Is it a picture of a computer? Or is it a picture of a nonfunctioning object? Or a grey box? Or is it a play on the temporary nature of technology? Or is it a powerfully emotive statement on how humankind ruins natural landscapes with artifical intrusions?

Whatever it is, the context defines what it is. In this case, its not a computer, because it sure as **** isn't doing any computing.

Like I said before, a bike wheel isn't a 'bike' wheel any more or less than its a convenient round object or hoop or whatever. No matter what the INTENDED DESIGN, a thing isn't limited to being what it is in one context, in all contexts. Thats what art is about. Heiroglyphics are artistic, but they're a form of writing. Tapestry is as much a historical document as it is a piece of art.

You CANNOT define an object as being one fixed thing. It is what it is DEPENDING ON THE OBSERVER AND THE CONTEXTUAL MEANING.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote