Music Banter - View Single Post - Is a Computer an Instrument?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
Daktari
Music Addict

Location: Originally from Lancashire, England, lived near Largs, Scotland and now live in Rocky Face, Georgia

QUOTE:

"To us a computer, even a basic one, is just a tool".

That is exactly the point I've been trying to get across. It is indeed a tool that can help a musician make music but without being an actual musical instrument.

I think we need to stand back a little here and maybe look at this in a common sense way.

Something like a saxophone or a guitar or a piano is an object which is designed first and foremost for a musician to use to make music. Ok, a saxophone could be placed in a gallery as a piece of metal tube sculpture, a piano can be used as a piece of furniture and quite often is but their main purpose is to play music.

An oil drum is also an object but this time designed first and foremost for the storage or transportation of oil. Of course, it can be hit by a musician and used as a musical instrument but it is still an oil drum. A piece of grass can be made to squeak and I guess that is a very basic reed instrument.

The difference here as I mentioned about ten posts ago, there are objects that are musical instruments and there are objects that have the potential to be used as musical instruments but are really not.

A computer, (just in my opinion), is something that can be used to produce music just like an oil drum or watering can or a piece of grass but is not a musical instrument in the same sense as a sax or guitar or even banjo...

Gordon.

Last edited by Daktari; 03-26-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Daktari is offline   Reply With Quote