Music Banter - View Single Post - Is a Computer an Instrument?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #90 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
You have got back to the point that I mentioned about eight pages ago. A workstation keyboard is designed specifically to play music and produce music. A guitar and a saxophone or piano, etc... also fall into this same grouping that we call musical instruments. Ok, a comuter can be used to play and create music, no argument there. However, they are not not designed specifically to play music, it is more of a utilitarian 'jack of all trades' tool and in our world of labels is not a true musical instrument.
An synthesizers or keyboards are "jack of all trade," they can simulate the sounds of other instruments, not just one instrument. But when a computer doesn't it, it fails to be an instrument because it's a "jack of all trades?" I think as long as you can play music in real time with a computer (with a midi control etc) it is an instrument. Whether it's Keyboard Synthesizer/Workstation, or a PC they are related to each other because they are used to create electro-acoustic music; if you use it to play music then it can be considered a musical instrument.

The flute for example, one of the oldest instrument was once made out of bone, then over few millenium it change to become a wooden instrument, then Theobald Boehm developed the Flute into its modern form. It's always been a flute in each developemental stage what change was the material and that it turn changed it's timbre. The same thing is true for instruments that create elctro-acoustic music. The material and technology change how the sound is generated electronically but if you take the history of electro-acoustic instruments at each stage they are called instrument up until the point you get to the PC? Each isntrument had it own way of generating sound from tone wheels, to VCO using transitors in synthesizers, to computer chips in keyboard, and in each stage in it's developement they are all considered an instrument. But for some reason in its present stage as the computer it fails to be an instrument!?

Quote:
< Spot the odd one out. Correct, a microphone is also not a musical instrument.

Have a great weekend and a Happy Easter, Gordon.
The microphone is a transducer - they are found in all kind of musical equipment. The guitar has a pickup which is also a transducer so even though a mic not an instrument, it has something in common with an electrical guitar so why is the microphone the odd one out?

Quote:
I've kept out of this discussion for sometime hoping the fog might clear.
You're right a fog machine is not an musical instrument! Yet it used on stage to accentuate presence of the band, which in turn accentuates the music.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote