Music Banter - View Single Post - Where have all the skinheads gone?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

i'm not saying they started as racists, nor that they were all racists. fact remains that the style got taken over by racists and is seen as a racist style to the majority of people out there today.

you wonder where they all went? hmm... if i kept getting compared to a racist i'd change my style. especially a few decades later, not unlike the way hippies cut their hair and started washing with soap once they learned the hard way that free love wasn't going to feed their babies. yes, there are some diehards that want to adhere to the ideals they had in the 60s and that's their prerogative but at the same time things have moved on since then. just because it meant something once doesn't mean it still means the same thing.

seems to me there's an element of gang mentality at play between both sides of the issue. plus the whole 'but we like raggae and ska so we can't possibly be racist; those are black styles' reeks of political correctness gone awry. just like corporate photos that make sure they have the most photogenic faces of every ethnic group possible to make sure the public sees how tolerant they are.

i think the better question is, why would you want to be a skinhead in 2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote