Music Banter - View Single Post - Last FM
Thread: Last FM
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #4281 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Hmmm....I'm familiar with a lot of those names but I don't listen to a single one. So there's not much I can say, other than it doesn't seem to be my taste. Not that I wouldn't like any if given the chance...

My charts for the week of April 12-18:. I'll elaborate a bit this time.

Unique Artists: 121
Total Tracks: 585
Total Plays: 719

Blonde Redhead (57)
I got their album Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons maybe 7 years ago but it never clicked. I traded it a few years ago but kept a digital copy. After having a song come up on shuffle recently I decided to play it again, and I did so maybe 3 times last week and now I like it a lot. I also downloaded and played Fake Can Be Just as Good a few times. I'd like to hear some others but I'm not sure which I'll go for next.

Nirvana (36)
Played Nevermind and Incesticide last Sunday.

Dinosaur Jr. (34)
Downloaded and played the recent Farm album a few times, as well as a revisit to You're Living All Over Me.

Roel Funcken (32)
Excellent solo release from one half of the Dutch electronic duo Funckarma. Very abstract and almost Autechre-like IDM, but more melodic.

Cujo (28)
Finally got Amon Tobin's first released album, played it twice. Very chill instrumental trip-hop with a few vocal samples here and there.

Clutchy Hopkins (27)
Laid back instrumental hip-hop/nu-jazz/downtempo something or other. Got the album The Life of Clutchy Hopkins, good to chill to.

Red Hot Chili Peppers (26)
Played some old school stuff, Freaky Styley and Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

Filthy Thieving Bastards (23)
Folk-punk side project of Swingin' Utters frontman Johnny Bonnel. Apparently like an American Pogues, but I don't know because I don't listen to The Pogues. I just found out about these guys maybe a month ago. I initially downloaded the EP Our Fathers Sent Us which after a couple plays I thought was just ok but not on par with Swingin' Utters. Then this week I played their debut LP A Melody of Retreads and Broken Quills which I found much better. They have 3 full lengths so it's not really a side project anymore, especially since the Utters haven't put out a studio album since 2003. Hopefully they're not done.

Sebadoh (23)
Played the album III. I was listening to Seaweed over the weekend and this happened to be next in line in my iTunes library, so I let it roll. Coincidentally it was being discussed in the band's thread, and it happened to grow on me a bit this time.

These New Puritans (22)
Downloaded the album Hidden and liked it quite a bit, very impressed with the sound. I ended up purchasing both their CDs over the weekend, but haven't played the first album yet.

Ink & Dagger (22)
Punk/hardcore band who I discovered around 2002 that never did that much for me. I decided to check out this album as it had more favorable reviews than the one I have. Played it twice but I don't think I like it very much. Might have back then, or not. There's kind of a goth/horrorpunk vibe to it as well, but I don't think it's too well done.

Falling Forward (22)
Great post-hardcore/emo band with some thrash tendencies, fronted by Chris Higdon who along with the drummer and bassist would eventually form the band Elliott.

Faith No More (20)
To coincide with my old-school RHCP fest and Chuck Moseley's appearance at a FNM reunion, I decided to play We Care a Lot and Introduce Yourself.

Band of Horses (20)
Played both their albums, anticipating the new one.

Architeq (15)
Got my copy of the LP Gold + Green in the mail so I played it again. Great electronic release from last year, kind of hard to describe the style even though I know several other artists doing similar things. It's warm, melodic and funky, incorporating IDM but also instrumental hip-hop. That basically defines glitch-hop but I'm hesitant to call it that.

Ambulance (15)
Had this on my wish list from months back (or more, can't recall) and finally downloaded it last week. I'm fairly blown away by it and ordered the CD this morning. Pretty brilliant IDM release.

Knxwledge (15)
Discovered this a few weeks ago and have played the album Klouds twice. This I would call glitch-hop, a bit reminiscent of Flying Lotus. But I'm a bit disappointed so far. It might grow on me given the chance.
^ You had a great week!!

EDIT: BAM!

Last edited by someonecompletelyrandom; 04-19-2010 at 03:11 PM.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote