Music Banter - View Single Post - Unschooling
Thread: Unschooling
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #28 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I do agree with the idea that one of the major problems is that schools treat all children as part of a group rather than as individuals, I strongly support the theory of multiple intelligence, the learning process varies from kid to kid, and when one method doesn't work, teachers should find another way before immediately writing them off as a failure.

This is one of the major upsides to homeschooling. However I've been homeschooled since 3rd grade and I know from experience (or lack of) the value of public school as a tool for learning social skills in addition to academic ones.

Still, the public school system failed me, and it fails a lot of kids because it doesnt treat them as individuals and really reach out to them in an effective way, you gotta give them motive, a desire to learn. A lot of stuff about the public school system is memorization and bureaucratic routines, and keeping with tradition, kids just don't give a sh*t.

There's little tolerance for debate or challenging and provocative ideas in the classroom which is very important in the learning process.

One reason I'm an advocate for homeschooling is that there's less distract
This is one of the reasons why I really enjoy university. My parents are not the type to say "you have to be a doctor or a lawyer" or something like that. They are fine with whatever choices I make regarding school. In college/university, the student gets to pick electives along with the few courses he/she needs to take for their program. But it does also seem that more students care about school at this stage in their lives because they are paying for it or their parents are, so they want to do well and not have it be a waste of money.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote