Music Banter - View Single Post - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacklover View Post
Woah I never knew they were some sort of supergroup, but I guess this isn’t surprising considering their professional talents.
Yeah.

Emerson used to play for The Nice who were one of the earliest prog bands and one of the first to have considerable influence and some mainstream success.

Lake was one of the founding members of King Crimson of course, as was Peter Sinfield who became ELP's lyricist starting with Brain Salad Surgery.

And Palmer served briefly as the drummer for Arthur Brown's band and along with other members of that group went on to form Atomic Rooster. A pretty obscure band these days but their records sold quite well back in the day.

So yeah, these guys were pretty well known before forming ELP.

Quote:
I’m not sure which kind of shows you were referring to, but I saw their California Jam performance and thought it was great. Watching Palmer and his possessed self nailing a 10-minute solo is really something.
Do you mean you watched it on Youtube or you were actually there?

Because that would make you a lot older than the rest of us, no offense.

Quote:
And to hell with this ad hominem business! Arrogance never killed anyone before, and besides I don’t see how ELP is any more pretentious than Yes or King Crimson, although they sometimes have exaggerated the elements of prog but that’s a minor detail, and personally I find it adds to their “zesty” style. I find their music much easier to listen to than stuff like Moonchild (don’t get me wrong, I like KC, but that particular track was way too much for me)
I consider Yes and KC to be way superior bands but I agree that ELP didn't take themselves as seriously. In fact, I think one of the reasons they became such a target among the prog community is because they DIDN'T take it very seriously.

Back then prog was taken very seriously as a revolutionary artistic movement and ELP were considered sellouts because their live shows had an almost Las Vegas vibe to it, the KISS of prog rock if you will. They were looked upon more as vaudeville performers than as serious artists.

Yes, Genesis and Pink Floyd had very elaborate stage shows too but there was still emphasis on the musical aspect of it, people didn't feel that way with ELP's live shows.

As in they were considered more of a band to watch than a band to listen to.

Quote:
I've actually never listened to Love Beach. Should I give it a listen, or is it really that bad?
It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

But you could use a good laugh.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 04-25-2010 at 03:14 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote