Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #2659 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Nominated by The Bullet

Guns N' Roses

“We were rebels. We are rebels, and there weren’t any rebels around in the early ‘80’s. ****, even Punk got to be a fashion, and then it was dead.”- Slash

Guns 'N Roses were, in my opinion, one of the greatest artists of the 80's and early 90's. In 1987, they released Appetite For Destruction, a straight-ahead, hard rocking album. It spawned a number one single on the Billboard charts (Sweet Child 'O Mine), two other top ten singles (Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City) and another top 100 single (Nightrain). The album is the best-selling debut album worldwide, and the eleventh best selling album in America. A year later, in 1988, the band released G'N'R Lies. An album that contained the four and only songs from an early live EP as well as four unreleased recordings. It spawned a top 5 hit, Patience, and has been certified 5x platinum.

"I'm not gonna be a slave. I'm a rock n' roller."- Steven Adler

The next two albums, Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II, were released on the same day in 1991. The two albums had many hits including "You Could Be Mine", "November Rain", "Don't Cry", "Live and Let Die" (Wings cover), and "Knocking on Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan cover). This marked a huge turning point for the band. Up until now, they were a Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, and (arguably) Slease Rock band, but now, they had more Progessive and Bluesy material without disriguarding their Hard Rock style. Both albums have been certified 7x platinum. Unfortunatly, some fans overlook these albums and only know Guns 'N Roses for "Appetite".

The next album, The Spaghetti Incident, was an album of covers. It failed commercially. In 2008, Chinese Democracy was released but Axl Rose was the only "Appetite"-era in the band (and still is), causing some people to believe this isn't the "real" Guns 'N Roses . The band has been touring it on and off since 2001 (none of the tours featues any "Appetite-era" members execpt Axl Rose either).

"I write the vocals last, because I wanted to invent the music first and push the music to the level that I had to compete against it." - Axl Rose

Guns 'N Roses, having sold over one-hundred million albums worldwide, has a wide influence including Coheed and Cambria, Buckcherry, The Strokes, Lincoln Park, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, The Black Crows and many more. In addition, they are often credited for inspiring Grunge. Even established acts like Poison changed their sound after Guns 'N Roses came on the scene.

“We are not the guardian angels of anybody. We only play authentic, nasty rock and roll.”- Duff McKagan

The music of Guns 'N Roses is also very distinctive. Slash has a bluesy playing style and a signatue guitar sound (courtesy of Marshall amps and Les Paul and BC Rich guitars). Steven Adler often has an ever-changing drum part that's pretty heavy on the hi-hat. Matt Sorum (who played drums on the Illusions and The Spaghetti Incident), though not as distinctive as Adler, would keep a strong beat and knew when to add a cool drum riff, and adapt to the music. Axl Rose has multiple "voices" that I use to think were different singers (when I was a really little kid), and often comes in and out of said voices in his songs (listen to "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", or the acoustic version of "You're Crazy" to best see what I'm talking about). Duff Mckagan has a very funky and dinstinctive style of playing. Izzy Stradlin wrote heavy and rebelious, yet holy-sounding, almost symphonic chord progressions (and I know that sounds like **** to most of you). Axl Rose and Dizzy Reed (keyboards since the Illusions) could play soulful ballads on keyboards as well as jumpy tunes.

"It`s while I`m playing that I`m honest. Now, it`s even stronger at home, because I go back to my beginnings."- Izzy Stradlin

There are many of you who hate Guns 'N Roses. I especially hear this about the voice of Axl Rose. I want those of you to remember that this is also a hall of fame, and, aside from a cover album and an album that's barely Guns 'N Roses, every studio album they've done has gone atleast 5x platinum. Also remember that they have a giant influence on the music of today. They also put an end to the hair metal craze, to some extent, and put the focus of Hard Rock on Hard Rock (no offense to gooey hair metal awesomeness). Thus, I nominate Guns 'N Roses for the MusicBanter Hall of Fame.