Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #1406 (permalink)
NumberNineDream
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Sent by Gunnels

CORNELIUS
Fantasma (1997)

It's the third album by Japanese artist Cornelius, who seems to be a part of the Shibuya-kei scene, which I don't know much about (other than the page featured on wiki). So I thought having this album sent by Gunnels as a pretty cool deal.

As for the album:

I seriously loved it immediately. I don't know if I can say it got me more familiar with the Japanese Pop scene, but if I had to put this album in some genre category, I would tag is as "Sunshine Hip Hop".
The editing and mixing of the "musique concrĂȘte" is great, the sampling ties the whole album together, the tunes were truly happy and uplifting. I didn't mind not understanding some of the songs that were sang in Japanese, as even the ones sang in English didn't give much functions to the lyrics, as vocals felt like another instrument complementing the music.
I have to say though, I was kind of disappointed when the tracks "God only knows" and "Thank you for the music" didn't turn out to be covers of my favourite Beach Boys and ABBA song respectively. I still did enjoy them immensely though

So to that I add, thank you Gunnels.
'twas a nice trade
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote