Music Banter - View Single Post - Ancient Astronauts
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Dom
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
this conversation only works if we pretend that faster-than-light travel is actually possible.

are we allowed to pretend whatever we want? if so, i have some things to say about invisible emus and their plot to assassinate me (as predicted by the ancient mythology of the Kalahari)
There are actually particles theorized to travel faster than the speed of light, and the theory of special relativity does not disallow faster-than-light travel.

Besides, you do not necessarily need faster-than-light travel for space exploration. For example, with technology we have now we could reach Mars within about 210 - 250 days. With technology in, say, 100 years time that time could be drastically reduced. Because of this, it means that, rather than using faster-than-light travel, you could just colonized each planet in turn, slowly getting further out. This is one of the reasons why actual contact with other life is so unlikely.

Edit: In fact, Barack Obama has said:

Quote:
By the mid-2030s, I believe we can send humans to orbit Mars and return them safely to Earth. And a landing on Mars will follow. And I expect to be around to see it.
So space travel without faster-than-light travel is certainly not impossible.

No more stories / are told today / I'm sorry / they washed away // No more stories / the world is grey / I'm tired / let's wash away.

Last edited by Dom; 06-07-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote