Music Banter - View Single Post - Ancient Astronauts
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
Dom
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
you're absolutely right.

in fact, it's possible to imagine anything you want if you choose to ignore all our knowledge of how the universe works. if we open ourselves up to all possibilities, however improbable, we can waste away our days dreaming up invisibility pills and flying cybernetic chimpanzee slaves and laser blaster tickle guns and mini dragon pocket pets.

but i'll tell you something - that sort of thinking isn't very practical. it might be fun to consider for a few minutes here or there, but there's no sense in taking it seriously...
You exagerate every point. Imagining differences in our knowledge and the truth if not irrational in the slightest. In the past 100 years our scientific knowledge has changed immensely - who's to say we aren't completely wrong? Like Sljslj said, we shouldn't assume that they can't do something just because we can't.

And also, as zevokes said, if wormholes are a reality then that is your answer to how aliens could travel those distances in one lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Another problem with assuming or arguing aliens could visit us or have visited us is that then you also have to explain why they're not here right now. I've never seen an alien and I haven't seen proof that they exist. Why would they keep their presence a secret? And if they visited us way back then, why did they leave again? One might think that in the universe, a planet supporting life is like a rich oasis in a desert. Life and interest would congregate around them because of the wealth of resources they provide.
Again, this depends on the frequency of life in the universe. If it's very frequent, then perhaps we are nothing special to them. There are many reasons why the aliens may have left - a distant war requiring them, not enough resources to stay, etc. As for proof, well, supporters of this theory would suggest that there's a lot of evidence, but over time many other explanations have also come about and more and more evidence is lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Well, we all may be able to talk rationally about seeing an alien on a forum or one on one, but I have no doubt an alien showing up in some downtown city would cause mass panic. We are still stupid creatures and I'm sure a species advanced enough to actually get to our planet would consider us lesser animals and would try to prevent that hysteria. Much like how we hide from animals when trying to film them in their natural habitats.

Like I said earlier, I try not to give much credence to the ancient alien theories and how they helped advance early civilizations, but I really do believe in aliens. I also believe they have visited our planet in some capacity. The universe is too large for intelligent life not to exist elsewhere, we have a very young sun compared to other solar systems with planets that could potentially support life, and I think a species that could travel space would be very interested in exploring all forms of life including our planet.
I certainly believe aliens exist, but I'm definately not too sure on whether or not they visited us. You say you don't give much credence to these theories and yet you say you believe that aliens have visited our planet in some capactiy?

No more stories / are told today / I'm sorry / they washed away // No more stories / the world is grey / I'm tired / let's wash away.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote