Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #1431 (permalink)
gotjuice
Rose City til I die!

Apologies for this one being so late. James sent me:

Radios Appear by Radio Birdman

I asked for punk, which I am extremely poorly versed in, and James obliged by sending me this album from Australian punk-rockers Radio Birdman.

First of all, I can see how this album would be a very good introduction into punk, as it is definitely a punk album but is also accessible. It's not extremely hardcore or anything which is generally a turnoff for me. Some songs such as Man With Golden Helmet might not even necessarily be considered punkish.

For the most part though, you get the driving, aggressive, fast-paced rock that defines the genre, and that I for whatever reason have never been able to get into. Even here, as much as I did did certain songs such as the aforementioned Man With Golden Helmet, Hand of Law, and Aloha Steve and Danno, there's just something...I dunno...doesn't click with me. Apart from those standouts, a lot of the other tracks did bleed together for me. Sonically, there's nothing wrong with the band. All of the instruments do a damn fine job, the drummer is tight and has plenty of solid fills, and the guitar work is also very well done. I also do like the vocals, as they transition nicely from being pretty laid back to the more aggressive yelling/yelping. But I'm still not entirely sold on it. I'll give it a 6.5/10 for now and see if I wake up in a few weeks with a sudden desire to listen to it again (which I feel like could happen with this one).

Thanks James! Like I said, I can see how this would be a great album to introduce someone to punk. I'm just not sure I'll ever be able to really get into the genre
gotjuice is offline   Reply With Quote