Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Strangest Music/Band/Album/Whatever?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
The Residents are actually mentioned on the first page, just not in elaborate detail. I guess you didn't catch the mention of their eskimo album .. Snakefinger sometimes played with them by the way.

What I've heard from Swans was also a bit boring. I get a bit tired of the fact that weird almost always means eerie or spooky. That's not necessarily a feeling which is very hard to evoke in people, I think. Neither do I think it really requires vast amount of creativity compared to other ways of being creative with music.
Oh, I totally missed the mention of Eskimo, apologies to Skaligojurah. Should've read more carefully.

Well, of course, the weird doesn't have to be spooky. To me it's always something that I can't quite compare to anything else, not just formally but through the feeling it brings in me, unrecognized before. In that sense Swans were very strange when I've heard them, not in a spooky way but through the almost unbearable darkness. Like all the other gloomy music I heard before was just romantically playing with dark and they were fully there with no way out.

And I think it takes a lot of creativity for such a slow, minimal and repetitive music to hold the attention of the listener. Well, since you find it a bit boring, maybe it doesn't hold your attention, but it certainly holds mine.

Quote:
Samla Mammas Manna, Gentle Giant, Tom Waits and Frank Zappa are/were weird, but I get the feeling they won't count since they didn't try to creep everyone out all the time.
I'm not sure what do you mean by this. Why wouldn't they count?