Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #893 (permalink)
Tea Supremacist
Like a fart in a trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I had a friend who was getting ready to kill himself but then felt he saw Jesus standing in a white robe before him, saying nothing. He became a very strong believer in the Christian religion.

For me, knowing the truth as much as possible is more important than feeling comfort. I'd rather feel awful, abandoned, doomed and lost, if that is the reality, rather than live imagining some wonderful future that is pretend.

I have relatives who, whenever someone dies, say, "He's with his maker now and is at peace!" This always makes me think of the movie "Logan's Run." There's a scene where people happily let themselves be exploded, since they've been taught to believe that they are going to a wonderful afterlife. In reality, they are just being vaporized.
To be honest, the whole vision subject is something I take with a pinch of salt, even when one of my best friends told me that God spoke to her, I remain extremely skeptical. Part of this might be because I've been in the situation where I'm at my lowest and ended up in hospital over it and God and Co. were no where to be seen (obviously the rest of it was just cos I don't believe anyway!).

As Jibber said, the brain is a complex thing and to hear the story about your friend (just as when I heard my friend speak about it) would lead me to put it down to miswiring. Perhaps, subconsciously your friend wanted to be 'saved' and this was his brain's way of getting hm out of the situation he was in? he is obviously happier now and good for him. I sometimes feel a little sad that I am so skeptical about it, because it does bring comfort to some and it must be nice for those people to have that comfort blanket. On the other hand, I see believing in a deity to make yourself feel better is general disillusionment. If I wanted something to make the pain go away or to feel better about life, I'd go back to smoking weed and living off rum