Music Banter - View Single Post - Nevermind, let's talk about the same handful of bands that suck ad nauseum
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #456 (permalink)
telepicker
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
holy crap this again?

it's not rocket science. The Beatles DID change the way pop culture, society, and yes musicians approached and handled their music. AFTER they got around to releasing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. prior to that, active musicians of the day wrote them off the way most musicians off the 90s wrote off the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. this is not my opinion but the actions and opinions of older relatives who were active musicians from the late 50s until the 90s. they were basically just a boy band for little girls until they started getting stoned.

the idea that modern music was a virtual wasteland until The Beatles finally apparead and opened everything up for the masses is either an ignorant farce or an effective troll.
made my point for me.

Not whether or not you like them - they changed music forever = FACT

not some nitwit's opnion, it's fact. It really happened.

And just about EVERYTHING in popular and recorded music post-67 is either directly or indirectly influenced by them.

Just one example:

the Beatles were Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler's main inspiration for taking up music and starting the band that would become Black Sabbath.

Black Sabbath influenced countless more, spawing many subgenres that stem from the catchall term "Heavy Metal."

The Beatles were also an influence on Clapton, Baker and Bruce forming a POP band they called "the Cream". Van Halen was called Mammoth in the early 70's, and they were basically a Cream cover band. Then thy started writing their own songs, which influenced countless others, including Dimebag Darrel, who started his own band called Pantera...

I could go on and on and on - the point is, they may be YOUR favorite group, but I guarantee a good portion if the artists YOU love are heavily influenced by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Telepicker is a dope.
and you are a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What point? You told me to read exactly what you post. I was just following your instructions.
yeah, I was hoping you would comprehend the point of my original post...to no avail.

Quote:
You're right, whoever put Bowie on the list shouldn't have put him there. So what though?
it means I don't know who on that list is really from Philadelphia and who isn't.

The whole list could be a farce - that's the problem with Wiki.

It proves nothing.

Quote:
Huh? How about indirectly thanking Philly for the O'Jays instead?
weren't Cinderella from Philly?

That negates the Ojays.

Quote:
Your loss I guess. I've never made the claim that Philly is the greatest music city on the planet or anything, I'm just simply refuting your claim that there isn't "a single decent band" from here.
Forgive me for not recognizing Philadelphia for the fertile musical hotbed that it is.

Quote:
I'm sorry but this right here is self-evidentally bullshit to anyone with even a passing interest in current loud music.
not really; somewhere around 15 I started a musical maturation process, and pretty much quit listening to music like that.

Not sayin it doesn't have merit...but I don't like it.
telepicker is offline   Reply With Quote