Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #644 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by trace87 View Post
the problem i notice when the ram monitor goes low is that my computer gets very slow. i always thought that the pagefile was only used when the RAM was maxed out. and i noticed that my computer would sometimes get very slow before i installed the program to monitor it. i didn't just install it on a whim.

edit: i haven't ever noticed it showing my ram at lower than 600mb or so.

edit 2: i don't have viruses/spyware(and spyware wouldn't cause this).
Nah, I have the same amount of RAM as you and I can look in the task manager and see the page file being used right now, and all I have running is 1 instance of firefox, Rocketdock, and the obligatory system processes plus my antivirus and firewall. And I'm nowhere near using up all my RAM.

I used to use Serious Samurize, which is a customizable monitor sort of like the program you use, except it just monitors and does nothing else. It's definitely a good thing to have if you want to see what's going on, and far better than the skimpy info task manager gives you. So I can relate there. But aside from already knowing the page file gets used without maxing the ram, you can see it clearly with a decent monitor.

But if your problem truly is a memory leak from a legitimate program, you might just have to do it the old fashioned way by process of elimination. I guess what would make it easier is if you can remember about when you started having the issue and try to remember which programs you've added since then. Then just disable them, like you said, until the problem stops.

It's a legitimate troubleshooting technique.

Btw, what virus program do you use?
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote