Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seussicide View Post
Well this topic is so subjective and sensitive, I remember doing a research paper on suicide. The thing is, you'll never know what's going in the mind of that person, how difficult life may be to them, and their struggles. What if they did ask for help? What if no one did? What if people tried and failed? It's difficult to pin point where you went wrong in life, and I guess when you're depressed and in that state of intense depression and solitude, it'll be a spontaneous thing. To want to take your own life, consequences become trivial, maybe you'd wonder who'd miss you when you're gone. What if no one comes to mind? Maybe you'd think about your mom and dad, and how they'd miss you, but life's too unbearable at the moment to want to stay. It's a difficult thing, to say someone who committed suicide is selfish. We'll never know their state of mind... you ever read suicide letters? Awfully depressing how people think of themselves sometimes... especially when you read that it's a little girl of 13years old getting picked on because she's overweight. Or this little boy getting bullied because he's a "nerd". It really is a saddening though.. I don't think I can easily call them cowards.
I agree with this post... I don't think that anyone who hasn't been in that kind of state can even begin to assess whether suicide is cowardly or not. It's all in the mindset, and depression really alters your judgement. And can suicide ever be considered selfish? I don't think there's a lot of 'self' involved in an act like that.

However, I will say that it's almost always cowardly to commit suicide if you have kids... you should never abandon your kids.