Music Banter - View Single Post - Spanish language music anyone?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #80 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

* Los Rebeldes (since 1981), from Barcelona (Spain). A nice revival style. In the 80's, they adapted the classical American rock & roll from the 50's to the Spanish language, and thanks to their talent they managed to make their music sound natural and coherent to the Hispanophone public. Which is not an easy work at all, because, due to the words length, it is more difficult to compose songs in Spanish, French or German (and many other languages) than in English. But they did it in a fantastic way. Glory be to Elvis. Examples: Bajo la luz de la luna ("Under the Moonlight", 1988) and El rock del hombre lobo ("Werewolf's rock", 1981). It is surprising how natural they sound:

And also (click): Mescalina ("Mescaline", 1986), La rosa y la cruz ("The Rose and the Cross", 1993), Un español en Nueva York ("A Spaniard in New York") and Mediterráneo ("Mediterranean", 1988), among others. As the last one shows, they not only adapted song styles to their mother tongue, but also to homeland-related topics. A good example of music as a "universal art", I think.

* Enanitos Verdes (since 1979), from Argentina, is an important rock band in Spanish. I think their best album is Big Bang (1994), which includes the following songs. Lamento boliviano ("Bolivian Lament") and Mi primer día sin ti ("My First Day Without You"):

And (click): Mejor no hablemos de amor ("We Better Not Talk About Love") and Celdas ("Holding Cells").

*And now, some more songs by Miranda Warning (Spain, 2000-2005; not to be confused with Argentine band Miranda), probably the most elegant Spanish-language pop band of the last decade. And with a sweet vocalist's voice. These are ¿Por qué? ("Why?") and Deprisa ("Quickly"):

And (click): Despierta ("Wake Up"), Flor de un día ("Short-lived"), Déjame ("Let me..."), Cada vez ("Every Time"), Si te vas ("If You Leave") and Anónimos ("Anonymous").

Last edited by Zaqarbal; 08-13-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added a note on distinction between bands' names
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote