Music Banter - View Single Post - Your top 5 Classical composers:
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #98 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondo View Post

And my top 5 works would be:

1. Debussy - La Mer
2. Verdi - La Traviata
3. Sibelius - En Saga
4. Bach - Goldberg Variations
5. Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major (Waldstein)
I'd never heard Bach's Goldberg Variations before Pomegrant posted a video (above), and now I'm listening to all 30 to appreciate them more.

I like the way Bach constrains himself to be creative within certain limitations he decides upon. For example, I read that in the Goldberg Variations, "after a statement of the aria at the beginning of the piece...the variations do not follow the melody of the aria, but rather use its bass line and chord progression." Goldberg Variations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never thought of just using the chord progression or bass line to form musical variations of a theme, instead of just doing simpler variations of the melody! Listening to the Goldberg Variations, I wouldn't have realized this is what is going on unless I had read about it.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote