Music Banter - View Single Post - Where do you get your music/music information?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I liked last.fm for a while but recently I've been noticing that what last.fm considers "similar" between bands, is often ridiculously not. At least not to me. I'm not sure how it works... whether it just compares tags or something, but it seems pretty flawed to say the least. But I may not be doing something right, as I haven't really dug into that site.
Well there are the "similar" artists, shown on artist pages, and then there are your actual recommendations, shown from the home page. The "similar" artists you see on an artist page are just artists that other people who listen to said artist also happen to listen to. That's the only connection...they're the top artists also listened to by fans of the artist whose profile you're looking at. Kind of silly, really. If you go to http://www.last.fm/home you will actually see your recommendations (skip the new release crap). I generally find them pretty good, even if it often recommends artists I'm already familiar with but just haven't listened to. And how would it know that I already know of them, really, if I haven't listened to them? Doesn't make it any less accurate IMO.