Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest White Rapper *Poll*
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #817 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanist
How elitist... and inaccurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
I disagree with some of what you're saying here. Eminem is not terrible, his first 2 albums are among the best hip-hop albums ever made, with or without the commercial success that came with them. I agree that most hip-hop fans (or music fans in general) don't take the time to delve deeper into music to find better/more obscure artists, but that doesn't mean that every artist who has ever been signed to a major record label is terrible.

I will say his new album shows him moving in a completely different direction. He's made it clear he doesn't want to be the voice of a delinquent generation anymore. He avoids a lot of the dark subject matter of his older work and is working towards making an album with 15 hit singles on it, and that's fine if it's what he wants. It's time we stop looking as it as Eminem sucks now, he just appeals to a different demographic now. A bigger, more diverse demographic (being the pop music fanbase) that we might not all be a part of, and I am OK with that. I will still cherish his older work for how great it was and I'll keep my eye on what he does in the future. He'll probably be writing songs my kids will be singing along to someday.
People misunderstand my criticism of him. I don't think he's not a great lyricist, he is. He changed the trajectory of lyricism in hip hop when he came along, nor do I hate him because he's embraced in the mainstream. I do get put off at times when an artist gets so "media saturated", but Eminem is not na example of this and it alone certainly doesn't make me an elitist.

I hate Eminem, because he's a total waste of oxygen. He generates little to nothing of intrinsic value to the world of hip hop in proportion to the breadth of his influence. He has the veneer of legitimate talent, in as much as he is very good at creative wordplay; he certainly has put in his time with pen to paper, but that is not all that makes an emcee. the Slim Shady LP was extremely innovative and a bit of a novelty when it first came out, but every successive album after that proved him to be a one trick pony and the world ate it up like it was a hot fudge sundae.

So now he wants to become the new mature culturally relevant Eminem. Please. It's too late and besides, that's more a marketing ploy to keep his maturing demographic than it is anything else.

In a nutshell I hate Eminem not because he's bad at what he does, but because he's really a douche that has little to no artistic integrity, who has used his own musical career as a magnified petri dish for his own dramatic life. In essence, he's white trash with a microphone.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote