Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest White Rapper *Poll*
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #823 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I disagree. Firstly, there is a fine line between a One Trick Pony and a signature style. Second, you dismiss the possibility of his having artistic integrity by claiming he uses his musical career to bring attention to himself. And yet, I'm having a hard time remember the last time Eminem did something that could legitimetly be called a publicity stunt. He even took a musical hiatus and dropped off the face of the Earth for a while to deal with his problems privately. It's only through his music that he exorsizes his personal problems. And I ask you, isn't that the hallmark of a great artist?

Was his stuff a little immature at times? Definetly. But he was always deeper than his lyrics, the naivety of both his persona and his fans wrapped themselves in infinate layers of irony. A true satirist. Was a lot of his subject matter used purely for shock value? Yes. He's even said this himself. Listen to any D12 song and it's clear that it's just bullsh*tting, makes for some fun hip hop though. And when he did delve deeper into his pysche, the results were sincere and often quite beautiful. Over all, he's a great emcee and i'm sure a pretty cool guy.

And be careful about how you use the term "white trash". As far as I'm concerned it's as derogative as a few other words.
I won't take issue with any of the points that you've made. They're all quite relevant and I would be lying if I told you that there's not a single Eminem song that I enjoy. There are a few, but I enjoy them purely for their novelty and for the fact that-- and I will always concede that he is, a great lyricist, but as I said in my previous post, it takes more than that to make an emcee great.

But the title of this thread is "Greatest White Rapper" and I know that the career that Eminem has had has elevated him to a status that he is completely undeserving of and it is this status, which is largely a product of strategic marketing and Em's work ethic, that has made him a household name in our country, not his unrivaled talent. There are emcees and hip hop groups out there that demonstrate greater talent and artistic integrity than he does.

I do apologize for using the term "white trash".
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote