Music Banter - View Single Post - Greatest White Rapper *Poll*
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #825 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I won't take issue with any of the points that you've made. They're all quite relevant and I would be lying if I told you that there's not a single Eminem song that I enjoy. There are a few, but I enjoy them purely for their novelty and for the fact that-- and I will always concede that he is, a great lyricist, but as I said in my previous post, it takes more than that to make an emcee great.

But the title of this thread is "Greatest White Rapper" and I know that the career that Eminem has had has elevated him to a status that he is completely undeserving of and it is this status, which is largely a product of strategic marketing and Em's work ethic, that has made him a household name in our country, not his unrivaled talent. There are emcees and hip hop groups out there that demonstrate greater talent and artistic integrity than he does.

I do apologize for using the term "white trash".
I know what you're saying completely. There are far more creative hip hop acts out there who deserve praise. Same goes with any genre, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
To me the term white trash denotes ignorance, insolence, and a lack of purpose, not insolvency, and that was the way that I meant it. It doesn't justify what I said at all, but I wanted to clarify that.
I don't mean to be touchy about it and I know you meant nothing by saying it. I've just had some bad experiences defending family members who aren't as fortunate as I was growing up, and even recently since entering rap music myself have just been really turned off by the stereotyping that still goes on. It's just a personal thing. I really had no need to jump at you about it.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote