Music Banter - View Single Post - 10 Singers Who Can't Sing?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #79 (permalink)
SaintSwan
Groupie

I like good singing... no, scratch that, I prefer good song presenters. A singer that can present a given song in the best possible way and a lot of times good technical singing isn't very good at presenting a given song. Ozzy as an example, I've heard good singers cover some of his songs and they absolutely suck balls, awesome when he sings it, but crap on toast by good singers. His unique vocal delivery is perfectly suited to the songs that he sings. Same with Keidis, Tom Waits, Helfield and so on and so forth. Bob Dylan is different for me in that everytime I hear someone else sing his songs I am enthralled but everytime he sings them I hear them as just plain bad songs.

When screamo became popular in metal I couldn't handle it and couldn't listen to it. I still can't listen to that stuff and tend to lump them all in as bad singers but I know a lot of guys who love that stuff and think it works for the songs. How they can differentiate between singers of different bands? I still don't understand that.

I don't like oversinging either and I'd appreciate it if they learned restraint, however I'm not the market for the oversingers and that market seems to like that style so if I don't want that market telling me how metal singers should sing (and I don't) then I'm not going to tell that market how those singers should sing.