Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #2462 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sljslj View Post
I'm looking for something along the lines of....
In The Woods..., Strange In Stereo
Winds - Of Entity And Mind EP
In other words, symphonic metal.
I suggested this back in the Last Album Bought Or Downloaded Thread but I'll suggest it again.

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness (2001)

A 60-minute metal epic ode. Features a wide array of guest musicians and some of the best production I have ever heard in my entire life. This is truly one of those albums you go back to and listen to to remind yourself that there still is good music out there. It's a commitment, but well worth the time spent. Headphones are a requirement for the full effect.

A few other recommendations.

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (1994)

This came out at a time when Black Metal was more widely known for murder and church burnings. This was one of the first symphonic black metal albums, and one of the major ones that took a different direction from what Mayhem, Gorgoroth, and Burzum were doing at the time. Plus this will most likely be your first experience with the musician Ihsahn, someone dankstra just came into contact with and loved.

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors (2002)

Another symphonic black metal band from the '90's and '00's that utilized symphonic elements, but were not strictly a symphonic metal band in the same way that Nightwish or Lacuna Coil are. I recently introduced this one to Dayvan Cowboy and she really enjoyed it.

But in all honesty Sljslj I think you're kind of looking more for the sounds found in avant-garde metal bands, especially if you're looking for bands like In The Woods... and Winds, who both share members in this genre. I recently put together a Beginner's Guide to Avant-Garde Metal playlist that I think you should also take a look at, it may introduce you to other bands more fitting the description of the sound you want.

Beginner's Guide to Avant-Garde Metal
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote