Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #234 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sljslj View Post
I can't believe it's been over a day and no one's commented on "Shock".
A song about circumcision can so easily turn from serious to ridiculous and you did a fantastic job of preventing that from happening. As with many topics you cover in your writing, I'm mostly in agreement with you on this one. I say mostly because it is wrong on many levels and violates the rights of the children, but you seem to think that the parents and doctors do it for sexual pleasure. It's usually for fear of sinning against their god, not to get themselves off! You probably don't think that, but that's what it seems like.
Anyway, great job.
Thanks, Sljslj, for your feedback. I didn't really expect any because we usually don't get too much here...but hearing feedback is very helpful. And yours is always direct and honest, which I appreciate.

I actually didn't mean to say that people circumicize their children to achieve direct sexual satisfaction from the handling, crushing, and cutting of helpless individuals' genitals. The practice, when religious, symbolizes more of a religious sexual obsession with constraining human sexuality and using violence as a way to create group cohesion.

However, it IS true that one reason women in the U.S. say they want to have their baby boys circumcized is that the mothers feel a circumcised penis is sexier (since that's what THEY are used to), and so there IS a sexual component to having your son circumcised. People are treating infants like someone else's sex toys.

I'm really very pleased you felt I did a good job with this one, because the song these lyrics are for is one of my favorites, probably because in it I let out quite a flare of my anger. It's nice to hear I'm not completely out of tune with what at least one other person thinks makes lyrics "good."
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote