Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #237 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

I always enjoy your lyrics, Vegangelica (even if I don't always comment on them), but I felt Shock was very preachy and not very tactful when it came to making your point. I understand forcefulness and putting power behind something, but with a subject as offbeat as circumcision, I felt more like I was being yelled at and told I'm wrong. I've never enjoyed lyrics like that, I can't even listen to Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" for the lines

"Elvis was a hero to most / But he never meant **** to me / Straight-up racist that sucker was / Simple and plain."

Because it assumes complete authority over the subject and shuts out any room for retaliation. It's like trying to have a discussion with someone who after making a point says "I'm right. And that's the end of it." Which I find very frustrating. I'd like the lyrics to more or less "state their case" and leave it at that, or if it is a powerful condemnation song then at least layer themselves in wit or satire.

As always I enjoyed the mechanics and the writing itself, you're probably the most competent songwriter on the forum.

Last edited by someonecompletelyrandom; 11-01-2010 at 12:32 PM.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote