Music Banter - View Single Post - Any other anarchists on here?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

I'm not wholly into a large amount of structure, to be honest. I don't think everything should be controlled, and I'm all for social freedom.

With that said, I am going to share a tale with you about a girl I knew. She went to my high school for a year or two (tiny high school: 45-55 people per grade level) and was a grade ahead of me. I really didn't talk to her all that much, but she was strange. Just not my kind of strange, I suppose, which is why we weren't really in the same circles.

She transferred to a high school the next city over, and attempted to start an Anarchy Club. She got a lot of media for this, (she was even in Bowling For Columbine) but the idea was completely dumb to me, in the way she approached it.

First of all, she intended to proclaim herself the "President" of the Anarchy Club, and attempted to do organized recruitment. When she was denied the "right" to start the club at the school (this was in West Virginia), she pursued legal action, appealed to the school board, and did all sorts of things to take advantage of the "structure" she was apparently fighting against. It wasn't deliberate or even blatant hypocrisy, but it just didn't seem quite right to me. I'm all about practicing what you preach, and she kind of turned me off of the whole idea.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote