Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Improvement Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #713 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
No not a private message, an actual email.
Oh! I see, James. I misunderstood. So there's a way to get visitor messages to show up in your e-mail just like private message do? I didn't realize that.

On a related topic, the e-mail verification system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post

The funny thing about it is an email verification system is an extremely easy thing to implement in the forum software.

I admire your optimism, but if that couldn't be figured out for 3 years, I have little hope for any request that requires even slightly more effort than that. I do realize that the reasoning behind the admins decision to implement something or not may escape us, but I get the feeling that going beyond base functionality to keep this place interesting enough to attract hits and gain Google ratings is not in the owner's interest. And although I really don't think the request in question is a bad idea, I would just rather bug the admin about things that have a larger effect. I'm not opposed to one of you guys requesting the notification thing. I'll just keep bothering them with the other stuff. Maybe they'll get annoyed into submission.
If MB had an e-mail verification system, I assume this means that when people sign up they would get an e-mail with a random ID link that must be clicked to activate their account.

This e-mail verification system would benefit us (and especially you and the other moderators) because it would create an extra step people have to take before they can join MB, and force them to use a real e-mail address, making it harder for people to spam the site.

I wonder if the Admin just doesn't really care about spammers because for statistical purposes a spam post is still a visitor, and a member is a member. So the more people who use the site, even if it is for spamming, the more traffic the site gets. This may make it easier to sell advertisements, which I assume are the only source of revenue that the owners get from this site.

If this is the case, then the Admin wouldn't be motivated to have an e-mail verification system. If they see the site just in terms of money, and it sounds like they do, then I think we've got to argue in terms of money, pointing out how improvements like this could make the owners MORE money by increasing the number of active, legitimate members who come here for a positive, spam-free experience.

Hey! Annoying people into submission is MY technique, Freebase!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-14-2010 at 06:54 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote