Music Banter - View Single Post - How can I love music without getting in debt?
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
It's not really the library goer, really. It's the whole "literary" attitude of the people running the library. IE. you'd be hard pressed to find a Slayer Album at Barnes, and Noble but you'd find ****loads of adult contemporary garbage, traditional chamber music, folky college pop, and some jazz.
I don't think that's true. I clearly remember buying Meshuggah and Mastodon albums at Barnes & Noble so I think Slayer would be a pretty likely find as well. But why are you comparing Barnes & Noble with a public library anyway? It's apples and oranges. One is a retail store whose purpose is to stock whatever sells and one is a public institution dedicated to serving the community.

Quote:
I just always believed the purpose of a library was to showcase what was considered music of the cultural, and intellectual elite. I am NOT saying that they intelligent people don't listen to Slayer, I'm personally a massive Slayer fan, but just find it strange that it would get through the filters of people running libaries, assuming they can filter at all.
I think you have kind of a mistaken assumption there. The whole point of public libraries is that they're free and open to the public. In many ways they are the antithesis of cultural and intellectual elitism.

Quote:
With that said, Reign In Blood is by far one of the most influencial metal albums, and with metal being an important genre in this day and age, I would consider it a cultural landmark when it comes to music. Personally believe it has a place in a library.

Even if, it probably was only there because somebody decided to donate it, and there was no descision making in the process, still slightly ironic if you consider the library lady attitude.
The bolded probably describes most of the things at any given public library.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote