Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 50 albums of TheFolkslave
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #40 (permalink)
TheFolkslave
Music Addict

38. Mineral - EndSerenading (1998)

Genre: Emo, indie rock

Mineral was a mid 90's emo band from Austin, Texas. The band was active for only four years between 1994 and 1998. Their first album The Power of Failing came out in 1994 and their second and final album EndSerenading in 1998. EndSerenading was released post-humously since the band broke up during the recording of the album.
Mineral's music is characterized by its soft/loud structure, the singer/guitarist Chris Simpsons off-key vocals and ethereal, melodic instrumental guitar parts.
Minerals emo sound and their lyric style have influenced many bands of the late 1990s and 2000s.

I first heard about this band not that long ago to be honest (6-8 months ago). I first heard "If I Could" from The Power of Failing album and decided to download both of their albums. I like both of the albums but EndSerenading is definitely better than the debut. I really love their lyrics, like the ones on "Unfinished". "I wish you could put your ear up to my heart and hear how much I love you." Really great stuff. The off-key vocals may put off some people but I personally love them.
Although this album came out in 1998 and isn't so old I find this album to be one of the defining albums of the emo genre and also find it to be hugely influental for many other bands that I like. For example they have been an influence on my favorite band Ef that I wrote about earlier.
Overall I think this album is brilliant and it's sad that not that many people know about them. Do yourself a favor and listen to this album if you like beautiful, emotional music even a little.

Track listing:

1. Lovelettertypewriter
2. Palisade
3. Gjs
4. Unfinished
5. ForIvadell
6. Wakingtowinter
7. Aletter
8. Soundslikesunday
9. &serenading
10. Thelastwordisrejoice

Well I come from the old time baby, where all the kids are crazy.
TheFolkslave is offline   Reply With Quote