Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #334 (permalink)
oldcrowprophet
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
I read something once about Johnny Cash being gangsta 'cause of lyrics like "I shot a man in Reno , just to watch him die...." but that notion goes way, way back with old songs like Knoxville Girl. A Truer Sound (blog) posted a murder ballads comp a while back. If it's not available anymore let me know and I'll send it to you. A wonderful, scholarly site, Old Weird America, is an in-depth analysis of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music. Plenty of historical fodder there. Gee, I'm starting to miss grad school!
Old country blues songs were talking about murder long before hip-hop came around, I agree. If anything, gangsta rap is just a continuation of some of those old blues songs from Blind Willie McTell, Johnson, etc.

A Truer Sound still had the comp. I have most of those songs but some I don't, what a treat!

The Anthology of American Folk Music is great, I dl it a while back but only listened to a bit, but loved it.

Has anyone listened to "The Executioner's Last Song: Vol. 1-3"? It's a John Langford project, filed under John Langford & The Pine Valley Cosmonauts. The first song is a rendition of "Knoxville Girl". Steave Earles version of "Tom Dooley" is a must listen. If I had a better connection with the interweb, I'd upload it and provide a link.
oldcrowprophet is offline   Reply With Quote