Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums of the year 2010
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #56 (permalink)
Charlemagne
Say something vague

I'll do my top 10

1. The National- High Violet

The best release from one of my favorite bands, the lyrics are amazing and Berninger's vocals are so deep and haunting on some of the best songs. It's a really emotional and powerful record.

2. The Hold Steady- Heaven Is Whenever

Ok I admit I have a huge Hold Steady bias, I mean Finn's lyrics are the influence of my username! But that doesn't detract from the fact that this is still a great album, a little more classic rock influenced then some of the older ones, but the songs lyrics are great as ever.

3. Laura Stevenson and the Cans- A Record +3

I went through periods where I was absolutely addicted to this album. Laura Stevenson's voice is just so stunning and her style of music goes from soft and beautiful to punky and upbeat. Brilliant record.

4. Paul Baribeau- Unbearable

So raw, so real, so emotional, I really relate to this man's music, and while his vocals may not appeal to everyone, they work for me. His lyrics are wonderful and his style is wonderfully earnest and pure.

5. Madeline Ava- For All The Shy Punk Kids

It's simple ukulele pop from a teenage girl just entering college. But it's so sincere, so delicate and her voice always makes me happy.

6. Math and Physics Club- I Shouldn't Look As Good As I Do

It's fun, it's light, it's upbeat, it's a perfect little twee album and it does a great job in keeping this sadly dying genre alive. Clever lyrics as well.

7. The Tallest Man On Earth- The Wild Hunt

It reminds me of old style folk like Woody Guthrie, so natural and with such wonderful lyrics and instrumentation.

8. Sufjan Stevens- The Age Of Adz

I can't make a list without Sufjan, while it's not as good as his earlier work there are still some amazing standouts on this record, and great use of choir and complex instrumentation.

9. The Walkmen- Lisbon

Hearing the songs from this album live got me really excited for it, and I wasn't disappointed. A really great rock sound on this record, still innovative and still with some great lyrics and vocals.

10. Crywank- James Is Going To Die Soon

I know I've been plugging this guy's music a lot lately but it's really amazing. He is so honest, so passionate and he puts so much emotion behind his voice. Plus he's my age and sings about experiences that I can most certainly relate to.

My Last.fm

Last edited by Charlemagne; 11-30-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote