Music Banter - View Single Post - Madlib
Thread: Madlib
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Yeah, I'm probably being a bit harsh. I do like the album. It seems that almost all of the samples were culled from the 60's - 70's acid jazz portion of the blue note collection and the whole album seems to be based around a very small and insignificant part of Blue Note's massive history.
I wished he challenged himself with some older material. The album itself is great. I just think that considering the fact that Blue Note literally gave him the keys to the vault, he would have challenged himself a bit more and used a more diverse selection of samples.
I actually love Madlib's Shades of Blue but I see what you mean - he did very little with the music. It's mostly that I love the original Jazz so much that I like the album - he just added like a sprinkling of hip hop.

I feel the same way about his Blunted in the Bombshelter album. I like it and listen to it now and then but it just sounds so lazy considering how great the source material is. Trojan Records let him in their vault like Blue Note did, I think. I love Madlib but I feel like he should probably smoke less weed when he's (legally!) remixing the classics.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote