Music Banter - View Single Post - What are some good local bands in your area?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
thirtiesgirl
Music Addict

Eleni Mandell. Her early stuff is kind of like PJ Harvey's bluesy-rock mixed with Tom Waits balladry. ...Or Tom Waits' cabaret raconteur style mixed with PJ Harvey's more emotional moments. Then she went a little bit country, got a little bit folksy, did a little French pop, collaborated with some people (and is currently collaborating with Inara George from The Bird & The Bee, and Becky Stark from Lavender Diamond as The Living Sisters, a slightly soulful, countrified folk group with great harmonies), and she continues to make great solo records with perhaps a touch more maturity (and a bit more toned down) than her early stuff. Favorite records include her first three: Wishbone, Thrill and Snakebite. Country For True Lovers and Afternoon aren't bad either (particularly the lovely, wistful "American Boy" from Afternoon). I haven't been as impressed with her last two records, The Miracle of 5 and Artificial Fire, but I still love her smokey, sultry voice. Prior to making records, Eleni was the singing voice of Nancy Travis' lounge singer character Lucille in the movie Destiny Turns On the Radio. I'd post some Youtube clips, but my post count isn't high enough, so you'll just have to check them out yourself.