Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #341 (permalink)
thirtiesgirl
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
Just wondering if anyone else on this forum is a fan of the growing "Gothic Country" trend that's been emerging since the early 2000s.
I am! I am! I started getting into it in '95 when I heard Tarnation's second album, Gentle Creatures, on 4AD. I was a major 4AD fan at the time and bought everything on the label. I'd grown up listening to classic country and countrypolitan on my mom's AM radio stations (Patsy, Johnny, Loretta, etc), and I like some folk music...so getting into Tarnation wasn't a far stretch for me. In 1998, I saw Neko Case open for Nick Cave. The next day, I went out and bought Furnace Room Lullabye, put it in my car stereo...and it didn't leave my stereo for another 6 months. A few years later, Cave toured with Sixteen Horsepower who knocked my socks off when I saw them live. A few months after that, Sixteen Horsepower and Neko Case opened for Calexico in LA and I loved all of it. I need to start catching up with more of the Colorado stuff - Jay Munly, Slim Cessna, etc. I'm always looking for new alt-country/goth-Americana stuff. I'm also curious to know if anyone here has any opinions on the now-defunct Trailer Bride?