Music Banter - View Single Post - Badlittlekitten's top 50 indie/alternative tracks of this century so far.
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

Stephen Malkmus - Church On White
Stephen Malkmus

Everybody make way please. Legend coming through.
In 2001 Malkmus had split from scruffy, influential, lo-fi mavericks Pavement, and released his overlooked solo album. Stephen Malkmus is a warm and cosy ride, full of 70's tinged folk rock loveliness, melded with a soul that was lacking in Pavement's restless rumble. This just about edged out a few other tracks from the album and is here partly because it's a lovely breezy thing which I can imagine myself listening to when I'm old and withered, rocking back and forth on my garden chair, reflecting in the sun, and dusting off my favourite beer as Malkmus whispers through the trees, "Carry on, it’s a marathon, take me off the list. I don’t want to be missed" and his band, the Jicks, stroll along in 3/4 time while the timid air cuts through the blades of grass around me. But this song is mostly here because of the guitar, which is just dam exquisite throughout. And it gets even better from about two minutes in, where Malkmus overdubs himself and we get gorgeous twin guitar flourishes that are up there with anything on Television's Marquee Moon. Just listen to it. And save me from spewing any more pretentious babel.

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)

Last edited by Badlittlekitten; 12-15-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote