Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Cruelty
Thread: Animal Cruelty
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #75 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
There are some differences between rabbits and lynxes and you could say in those differences lie the rational basis for treating them differently. F.ex, the lynx is a threatened species, the rabbit is not and number in the millions. The rabbit is causing ecological problems and may be a competitor with us for resources (nibble in your vegetable garden) while the lynx is generally not.

So, killing lynxes hardly seems rational. They're not around to bother us and there are few of them. However, rabbits are often considered a pest and so they get killed. Is that really so irrational?
All your reasons for accepting the killing of rabbits, Tore, seem also to be the perfect rationale for killing people. We are not a threatened species, we number 6.5 BILLION (!), we cause ecological problems, and we compete with each other for resources!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
There are also certain logical inconsistencies in our attitude towards the animals.

Perhaps we must conclude that we humans aren't 100% rational beings.
Yes and yes, Zaqarbal. I agree. And I'm flattered you quoted my long post! Thank you for reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
Your argument doesn't even make sense.
So when a vegetarian becomes one because of morals, it's bad because no animal dies a good death? The whole point is not to eat the animal at all. So that I know that I don't have to deal with the feeling of guilt for eating something that went through suffering or pain.
Of course there's no polite way to do it, that's why vegetarians don't eat animals at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
Sometimes it's not even ABOUT the killing, it's about the way the animals were treated beforehand. Have you never seen the videos of chickens in houses with no windows, genetically created to be TOO BIG for their legs to handle, so they can't even walk? Have you never seen those videos?

Killing is such a small fraction of the animal cruelty that occurs, you obviously don't understand.
Amandria, I am cheered to see you defending our views!

I haven't been feeling much like being a champion of vegetarianism recently (don't worry...I'll be back!!), so it is nice to take a break and see that you are putting forward some of the arguments for vegetarianism. I appreciate this especially since I know you've said you prefer not to argue and would rather just keep to yourself, following your own conscience rather than trying to change other people's.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote