Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Cruelty
Thread: Animal Cruelty
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #76 (permalink)
noise
thirsty ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar View Post
Sometimes it's not even ABOUT the killing, it's about the way the animals were treated beforehand. Have you never seen the videos of chickens in houses with no windows, genetically created to be TOO BIG for their legs to handle, so they can't even walk? Have you never seen those videos?
Killing is such a small fraction of the animal cruelty that occurs, you obviously don't understand.
i have seen the videos, and i do understand. i simply don't care. i like to keep my world small. i have my own little local problems, and i don't want to spend time worrying about everyone else's.

don't get me wrong, i went through a vegetarian phase too. 7 years of abstinence, including 1 year of full-on veganism. but i got over myself.

it's all about perspective. just imagine trying to be a whiny vegetarian in medieval france (fetchez la vache!), or having the audacity to decline a morsel of warm, bloody liver from a just-killed auroch in paleolithic portugal. it just wouldn't happen. people gotta eat, and for much of human history, meat has been on the menu.

yes, we have other options today. yes, you can survive without eating flesh. but do you honestly think that your actions make a difference? nobody will remember your stout heart and your bully-for-the-beasts attitude. a thousand years from now, every living thing on this planet will be dead and forgotten, and the universe will move right along in its unflinching quest towards chaos. such is our fate. best embrace it.