Music Banter - View Single Post - Essential Trip-Hop albums
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #75 (permalink)
thirtiesgirl
Music Addict

Default I'll add to the list...

and repeat a few.

Tricky, Massive Attack, Portishead, Lamb, Red Snapper, Peanut Butter Wolf, Bomb the Bass (sort of), Andrea Parker (kind of Portishead lite, with more instrumental tracks), Moonshake, Laika, maybe even Alabama 3 - responsible for the Sopranos theme song, "Woke Up This Morning."

I might also consider Barry Adamson slightly trip hop. Adamson is the former bass player for Nick Cave's Bad Seeds, but has been doing his own jazzy, spacey, film noir-ish solo music since the mid-'80s. Massive Attack borrowed the same sample Barry appropriated for his track "Something Wicked This Way Comes," and used it on their second album, Protection. David Lynch also used the song on the soundtrack to his movie Lost Highway.

Check it out and see if you can recognize the sample Massive Attack borrowed after the fact:

Here's another Barry favorite, with vocals. "Black Amour":

Another favorite: "Straight 'Til Sunrise" - maybe a little Burt Bacharach on the trip hop tip? ...Do I need to explain that I'm a hopeless Barry fan?

Laika is Margaret Fiedler and John Frennet from Moonshake, along with Moonshake and MVB producer Guy Fixen. Check them out:

"Alphabet Soup"

"Uneasy"

"Never miss the water 'til the well runs dry.
Never miss the sun 'til it leaves the sky.
Never know when it's too late to try.
Never love a man 'til he says goodbye..."