Music Banter - View Single Post - Top albums you discovered this year that aren't from 2010
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #34 (permalink)
Zer0

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career (2009)
This band and album slipped my radar in 2009 but i was so glad to hear this album in 2010 and it quickly became one of favourite albums of the past few years. Tracyanne's voice is one of the sweetest voices i've ever heard, and the songs on this album are just heart-breaking, captivating and really addictive. I'm hoping they release another great album this year.

Galaxie 500 - On Fire (1989)
This band were staring at me for a long time in my Last FM recommendations, but when i read Mojo magazine's excellent review of their reissues i was sold. This album is just incredible, once you put it on you are sucked right into the album and into another world. Dean's voice has that pain and emotion that can't be faked, and his guitar playing is simple yet really effective. From start to finish this is a really captivating album and one of my best finds in recent years.

Swirlies - They Spent Their Wild Youthful Days In The Glittering World Of The Salons (1996)
Swirlies are a band that just don't give a f**k. They don't care what other's think of their music, they just do what they want to do regardless of anything. This album is a fantastic mixture of layered art-rock guitars, submerged vocal hooks and bizarre yet humorous sample recordings.

Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out (1997)
These girls have a very consistent discography which i very much indulged in this year, but this album is their standout for me. It's just one great song one after another, all with great vocal hooks, raw emotion and passion.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008)
A really beautiful and heart-breaking album to listen to, easily one of the best breakup albums i've ever heard. Every song is a gem and at 9 songs they have certainly chosen quality over quantity.