Music Banter - View Single Post - Top albums you discovered this year that aren't from 2010
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #37 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

Some more from me. . .

Judee Sill - Judee Sill - 1971
70s California folk. A sad, beautiful and brilliant record. For those unfamiliar with Judee, she led a troubled life to say the least- death of parents, abusive stepfather, heroin addiction, prostitution, armed robbery, prison. There's a feeling of sins being washed, melodically and thematically on this album. There's also lots of talking to God, but don't let that put you off.

"Once a demon lived in my brow,
I screamed and wailed and I cursed out loud,
And I sailed through the clouds on ten crested
cardinals
To guard my battleground,
But I laughed so hard I cried. . . "

Well worth checking out especially if your into Joni/Gene Clark/Nick Drake.

Brian Eno - Before and After Science (and My Life in the Bushes of Ghosts)
I've finally gotten into Brian Eno after years of avoidance (always associated him with Bowie/Talking heads, two I'm not fond of). Such great song craft and nice melancholy drones. His album with Byrne is still mind blowing.

Smokey Robinson - One Dozen Roses - 1971

From beginning to end this is flawless. Beautiful stuff. And 'Tears Of A Clown' isn't even the best track on it. My favourite soul LP, which makes it even more frustrating that it's practically impossible to find in psychical form. It's frankly bewildering that this hasn't been reissued. Come on record labels, pull your ears out of your collective arse and make it happen.

Randy Newman - 12 Songs - 1970

An undoubted classic. Newman's character studies are still cutting, and his 12 track journey through rocks roots excels at every turn. My only criticism it's that the journey is all to brief. Forget his Pixar affiliation, this it what Newman's about.

Ike and Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High - 1966
Phil Spector's cinematic production merged with Tina's astounding vocals is a perfect marriage. (Er. . . much better than Tina and Ike's in fact). Tina's raw emotion floats among the clouds with glossy strings. The title track is one of the greatest songs of all time. What else could one want?

John Cale - Paris 1919 - 1973
Lovely, hazy folk rock from former Velvet Underground visionary. Crazy I know, but I like this more than any VU LP.

Diamond D - Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop - 1992
Underground classic. Recalls ATCQ at times and is every bit as good. Hip Hop's 'best kept secret'.

Sioxsie and The Banshees - A Kiss In The Dreamhouse - 1982
Psychedelic gothy post-punk. With kinky sex.

Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk - 1967
Wacky blues rock masterpiece. It's Trout Mask Replica that gets all the plaudits, but for me this was his best moment. Wonderfully daft, yet still user friendly. 'Electricity' is one of the best psychedelic tracks of all time. The news yesterday was gutting. Rest in piece skipper.

Well I discovered far more great stuff this year than any other. Here's to more happy hunting in 2011

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote