Music Banter - View Single Post - Mating & Ethnicity; Where do your preferences lie?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I'm wondering how people feel about dating people close/distant from their own heritage or ethnicity. Not for other people, i mean for you? Does upbringing, cultural or otherwise, matter to you? Do you have a preference beyond looks?
No, ethnicity and cultural background never prevented me from dating someone. I always enjoyed dating people who were *not* from my background because then there was more to discover about the world by learning about that person's life, plus I always felt it was beautiful to experience that people with very different upbringings can still connect.

Most important to me was having a common denominator of wanting to be kind to each other.

None of the people I've dated has been vegetarian, by the way. Just thought people might find that interesting. All the people I've dated ate meat (at the time when we started dating. One converted.)

I feel most comfortable with atheists and agnostics, but I have dated a few people who believed in a god, and one of them I was hoping to marry, so religion doesn't necessarily get in the way, either. I think I was always open to meeting new people and giving it a go if I liked them and they liked me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
When it comes down to appearance, no, there's no preference, but culturally, I've got to be able to relate to my partner. As long as there are enough areas in which we are aligned, I don't think the rest is relevant.
I agree, Pedestrian, and actually feel that the differences add a lot to a relationship. As long as the person didn't try to press his culture onto me, but welcomed me to be involved as a way of enriching my life, then I enjoyed cultural differences.

My history pretty much summarizes my dating philosophy with respect to ethnicity. The ethnicities of people I've dated include these: German, German-American, Chinese, Iranian, Jewish, African-American, Mexican-American, El Salvadoran-American, Turkish, Italian, and a handful of Northern European-Americans.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote